Sunday, January 3, 2010

Avatar

First off, I don't care if it's 12:15. I still call this Saturday, therefore I'm keeping with my resolution of writing every day.

Went and saw Avatar today with family and friend. This is the second time seeing it, so I was able to grab a different perspective and really see the movie instead of just sitting there, being overwhelmed by the viewing experience. It didn't help that the first time I saw it, it was in 3D, and we were fifteen minutes late.

Visually, it's stunning. One of the best things I've ever seen. James Cameron definitely has a gift for imagination and the world he's created is worth going to see on its own. However, I wish it were about twenty minutes shorter. Despite the really comfortable seating at the Rotunda Theater, I was squirming hardcore in the last half hour, and wanted to jump around a little when we left. There are definitely points where it seems to drag, but it's still worth the time.

In terms of plot, I found it to be the age old story of a man finding his place in a different culture than his own and then having to fight against his original people to defend what he's come to cherish. Outside of that, I liked it. Maybe a bit more originality next time, Mr. Cameron... And the thinly veiled message didn't really help. I don't like being smacked upside the head with something. I may be a little dense, but even I couldn't miss that one. Unobtainium. Really?

The acting was worth the price of admission in itself. I'm a fan of Stephen Lang and seeing him in something new was great. The younger generation of actors were very good, and while most of the time, they were blue and had tails, Sam Worthington is hot.

Overall:

Go see Avatar. You're missing something big if you don't. This must be seen on the big screen.

No comments: